Auntie Ann's Coffee Cake
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup butter/Earth's Balance
* 1 egg
* 3/4 cup milk/soymilk, or as needed
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 2/3 cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 cup butter/Earth's Balance
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Make the streusel topping: In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, 2/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Crack an egg into a measuring cup and then fill add milk to make 1 cup. Stir in vanilla. Pour into crumb mixture and mix just until moistened. Spread into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with streusel.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool
Note: I use the food processor for all of the 'cutting' of butter/mixing - much quicker.
This is SO good. I made it for MIL who promptly claimed it must be from a mix/box (don't know if that is a compliment or a dig at my cooking ability). I have made it a few more times at DH's request - adding flax seed and whole wheat flour once. Yum.