Friday, February 1, 2008
Apple-Flaxseed Donut Holes
I have been crazing donuts and since I can't send my diabetic husband to buy me HIS favorite treat and I can't take my kids and not buy them a donut (too much sugar, made with milk and no redeeming nutritional value) I decided we would try to make our own. The boys and I Modified from this recipe. They were very proud of their efforts of measuring, mixing and making a mess. I sent them out of the kitchen for the frying part.
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 3/4 c. sugar
* 2 tbsp. melted Earth's Balance (or butter/margarine of choice)
* 1 c. soymilk (or milk of choice)
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 1.5 cup unbleached AP flour
* 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
* 1 tsp. cinnamon
* 3 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 cup flax seed meal
* 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and minced very fine
* oil for frying
1. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together wet ingredients and add to dry. Fold in apples.
2. Drop by tbsp. in hot fat and deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Notes: Next time I will make a much smaller batch - sort of hard to halve an egg so maybe a half recipe? No one needs this many donuts in their house at one time LOL! They were really good. Crisp on the outside and almost muffin like inside. Delicious! They really need to be just about a heaping tablespoon - any bigger and they were a little raw in the middle. Would be great sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar (I just didn't want to add any more sugar to an already sugary treat). I may try a batch made with Splenda just for DH.