Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oatmeal Bars

My friend Brandy shared this granola type bar recipe that I am going to try this week - (all notes are Brandy's). Thanks Brandy!

Oatmeal Bars


1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup flax meal
1 1/3 cup turbanado sugar (I'm not sure I'm spelling
tubanado right here - I always buy it in bulk, so I
don't have a package to check.)
3/4 cup oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2/3 cup chocolate chips

Mix the whole wheat pastry flour through to and
including the flax meal in a large mixing bowl.

Mix the sugar through the vanilla in a separate
container. Add the wet to the dry and the chocolate
chips, then mix.

It'll be kind of clumpy, but put it all in a 9X13 pan
and kind of push it down so it's even. Bake at 350
for 15 minutes. When it's cool, cut into bars (or,
when we make it for at home, we just leave it in the
pan and cut bars as we want them).

We've made it without the chocolate chips and they're
still pretty good. I've also made it with chopped
almonds and we liked that, as well. I'd like to try
almonds and chopped apricots, but my family won't go
for the apricots.

No comments: